My wife comes from the South Side of Chicago,
and when she first brought me back in ‘ninety four,
down in the basement of her childhood home
I found an old guitar.
She said “That was my great uncle Bill’s,
“I guess he left it to my dad.
“I remember after Bill lost his Kentucky farm,
that Gibson was all he had.”
“But he said ‘I’m not scared of a changing world
Or losing anything we are
‘Cos I wave hi to distant good times
every time I play that guitar.’ “
For eleven quiet years after Bill passed on,
that L-1, I guess, had waited for me
‘Cos it rang one brilliant chord before the bridge caved in
Just to let me hear what it could be
You got to draw lines
Back through time
To know who you really are
Every note Bill played
Rang again that day
When we picked up that old guitar
So it returned with us to New York.
In the hands of The ‘Moose returned to life.
And the sound that it made again
returned Bill to my angel wife
He said, “I’m not scared of a changing world
or losing anything we are.
I just wave hi to distant good times
every time I play that guitar.”
So I’m not scared of a changing world.
We’ve lost nothing that we are.
‘Cos I hear echoes of distant good times
every time I play that old guitar.
- cipher e/ dreams (2017)
- Almost X (2016)
- Sunrise Highway (2015)
- Particle Theory (2014)
- transient lines (2013)
- still echoes (2013)
- Reflected: 10×10 (2002-2012)
- :^D (2011)
- Hola, Sayulita! (2010)
- Goodbye Monday Blue (2009)
- Goodbye Monday #Bsides (2009)
- Stay Home v. The Love Shoppings (2007)
- Windfall (2004)
[twitter] latestMy Tweets
- [img] “Great Scott, Westy! Make sure your parents and Cat are nowhere near the Clock Tower when the lightning bolt strikes. 1.21 gigawatts is heavy!” “Doc, I gotta tell you something!” “Not now, Westy. Just make sure your parents meet. Your future depends on it!”
- [img] it’s impossible to desaturate california
- [img] Elusive Road, as mapped by El Goog, is just an echo of the past. Its old concrete slabs degraded beneath my feet, and ended in impenetrable overgrowth on the ridge line. A double-back at the 2K mark of a 5K isn’t such a letdown, tho, when this is the view you get twice.
- [img] The PCH has more in common with its [P]acific than its [H]ighway. Relentless yet frozen, oceans & certain roads are living snapshots of eras, and yet reveal our future. Neon road signs and crashing waves are forms of ephemerality. All is transit. Nothing is [C]oast.
- [img] At Malibu’s 57°F water temperature, you begin to lose dexterity in 10 to 15 minutes without a (or with a faulty) wetsuit. A dawn patrol zipper check by a surfing partner goes way beyond simply ensuring your modesty if you wipe out and get rag dolled.
- [img] What if we could ride all the waves? What if the world was safe for everything we are? What if we could exchange every turn we’ll ever take for one North Star?
- [img] egrets, i’ve never known
- [img] Canyon topography dictates, never submits. Roads narrow as you elevate, and many end w/out warning around blind curves. But where asphalt ends, paths often snake off into the brush under Right-of-Access signs, leading to semi-secret spots that always seem to be expecting you.
- [img] “There’s this store where the creatures meet / I wonder what they do in there…” wrote Jim Morrison in Love Street. The “store” is the Canyon Country Store, and Mr Mojo lived w/ his gf Pam just behind on Rothdell Trail. I’m a 10 min walk, and now a certified creature.
- [img] The east side of Laurel Canyon slopes up to a neighborhood named Mount Olympus, where you can find yourself at the corner of Electra and Jupiter after a left on Apollo off Oceanus. The sun often rises in volcanic splendor over Mount Olympus in LA. Who would’ve thought?
- [img] Jonathan Livingston Chicken lives across from our cottage. Every evening, between 5 and 6, Jonathan escapes his coop, hops on his roadside fence, clucks proud, and flies up an adjacent tree. “I’m a chicken with a hawk soul,” he tells me. “They don’t prey on me.”
- [img] “Silvery teardrops trickling down my windshield…” [Warren Zevon, ‘Steady Rain’]
- 2018 (53)
- 2017 (152)
- 2016 (195)
- 2015 (190)
- 2014 (365)
- 2013 (63)
- 2012 (52)
- 2011 (36)
- 2010 (25)
- 2009 (30)
- 2008 (9)
- 2007 (25)
- 2006 (2)
- 2005 (9)
- 2004 (15)