My wife comes from the South Side of Chicago,
and when she first brought me back in ‘ninety four,
down in the basement of her childhood home
I found an old guitar.
She said “That was my great uncle Bill’s,
“I guess he left it to my dad.
“I remember after Bill lost his Kentucky farm,
that Gibson was all he had.”
“But he said ‘I’m not scared of a changing world
Or losing anything we are
‘Cos I wave hi to distant good times
every time I play that guitar.’ “
For eleven quiet years after Bill passed on,
that L-1, I guess, had waited for me
‘Cos it rang one brilliant chord before the bridge caved in
Just to let me hear what it could be
You got to draw lines
Back through time
To know who you really are
Every note Bill played
Rang again that day
When we picked up that old guitar
So it returned with us to New York.
In the hands of The ‘Moose returned to life.
And the sound that it made again
returned Bill to my angel wife
He said, “I’m not scared of a changing world
or losing anything we are.
I just wave hi to distant good times
every time I play that guitar.”
So I’m not scared of a changing world.
We’ve lost nothing that we are.
‘Cos I hear echoes of distant good times
every time I play that old guitar.
[twitter] latestMy Tweets
- [img] ex spy v. ex spy 31 may 2004. 5:55p. mexico df. #tbt
- [img] 2017.05.21, 13:25, 5th Av, BK carrot and stalk
- [img] 2017.05.21, 13:23, 5th Av, BK lemonade and dime bag
- [img] 2017.05.21, 13:02, 5th Av, BK crowd study no.2
- [img] 2017.05.21, 13:12, 5th Av, BK Scott Stringer, @nyccomptroller
- [img] Saturday Night On The Outskirts Of Town
- [dream journal] 0517-0518: The Endless Sky Store
- [img] live score
- Solo Set: Saturday 20 May
- [img] #tbt Leningrad 1985, from the front seat of my spring break tour bus
- [img] 4th avenue mix
- [img] remember five/nine
- 2017 (56)
- 2016 (189)
- 2015 (190)
- 2014 (365)
- 2013 (63)
- 2012 (52)
- 2011 (36)
- 2010 (25)
- 2009 (30)
- 2008 (9)
- 2007 (25)
- 2006 (2)
- 2005 (9)
- 2004 (15)