Courage and conviction seemed worth thinking about this Memorial Day weekend down here in Mexico City, where there are few rules and freedom arises from chaos rather than a uniform culture, as my friend Victor Z explained.
A courageous life to every earthbound individual now conjures up a different set of experiences. As it should. But as such, the fight in the world now is about defining what it means to be brave and express conviction, not what it means to be free.
No one is answering America’s personals listing now. The world has put the fear of loneliness at the heart of our politics. Karaoke, anyone?
A society’s convictions are revealed in what it finds courageous. Which societies among us inspire an higher order conviction among its participants?
A society becomes fundamentalist when there are the fewest avenues to conviction, and where courage and audacity are elevated to the level of conviction. "We behave," said Riviere in Saint-Exupery’s 1931 novel, Night Flight, "as if there were something of higher value than human life…But what thing?"
Manly virtues no longer play a part in war as they did in Homer’s epics, nor do they play the same part in writing as they did during the birth of modern religions.
Would we have had fewer wars if we’d never learned to write? Or built the Internet?
"Coming down…entering the clouds," went the newlywed (6 weeks) pilot Fabien’s final transmission from inside a Patagonian cyclone in Night Flight. "…see nothing."
"See you on the flip side," went the Master Blaster.
- cipher e/ dreams (2017)
- Almost X (2016)
- Sunrise Highway (2015)
- Particle Theory (2014)
- transient lines (2013)
- still echoes (2013)
- Reflected: 10×10 (2002-2012)
- :^D (2011)
- Hola, Sayulita! (2010)
- Goodbye Monday Blue (2009)
- Goodbye Monday #Bsides (2009)
- Stay Home v. The Love Shoppings (2007)
- Windfall (2004)
[twitter] latestMy Tweets
- [img] Until next time, Mister (day 7/7). Thx to @wrenarthur for letting this guy stay here this week. And to @socialteesnyc, whose intrepid work to rescue dogs saves a ton of love for this world.
- [img] practice buddy [Mister, day 6/7]
- [img] facing friday (Mister, day 6/7)
- [img] half chihuahua and half jack russell w/ a triceratops soul (Mister, day 5/7)
- [img] Leaf Bro. [Mister, day 4/7]
- [img] “Southern perimeter all clear.” (Mister’s visit, day 3/7)
- [img] Dogsitting for @wrenarthur! Day 2/7. Mister, ~7 months-old Chihuahua Jack mix rescue from @socialteesnyc. Today, we had the Prospect Park Long Meadow to ourselves – a quiet moment of inspiration, away from the relentless din of late-Fall New York City.
- [img] a thing you learn the hard way
- 2017_11 NYC Marathon
- [img] my analyst’s stoop
- [img] Wild mare and foal graze amidst American ruins. Cumberland Island, GA 27 Oct 2009
- [img] ends are a means, too
- 2017 (144)
- 2016 (195)
- 2015 (190)
- 2014 (365)
- 2013 (63)
- 2012 (52)
- 2011 (36)
- 2010 (25)
- 2009 (30)
- 2008 (9)
- 2007 (25)
- 2006 (2)
- 2005 (9)
- 2004 (15)