Courage and conviction seemed worth thinking about this Memorial Day weekend down here in Mexico City, where there are few rules and freedom arises from chaos rather than a uniform culture, as my friend Victor Z explained.
A courageous life to every earthbound individual now conjures up a different set of experiences. As it should. But as such, the fight in the world now is about defining what it means to be brave and express conviction, not what it means to be free.
No one is answering America’s personals listing now. The world has put the fear of loneliness at the heart of our politics. Karaoke, anyone?
A society’s convictions are revealed in what it finds courageous. Which societies among us inspire an higher order conviction among its participants?
A society becomes fundamentalist when there are the fewest avenues to conviction, and where courage and audacity are elevated to the level of conviction. "We behave," said Riviere in Saint-Exupery’s 1931 novel, Night Flight, "as if there were something of higher value than human life…But what thing?"
Manly virtues no longer play a part in war as they did in Homer’s epics, nor do they play the same part in writing as they did during the birth of modern religions.
Would we have had fewer wars if we’d never learned to write? Or built the Internet?
"Coming down…entering the clouds," went the newlywed (6 weeks) pilot Fabien’s final transmission from inside a Patagonian cyclone in Night Flight. "…see nothing."
"See you on the flip side," went the Master Blaster.
Photography + Film
- Stripped State: Laurel Canyon Recordings (2018)
- cipher e/ dreams (2017)
- Almost X (2016)
- Sunrise Highway (2015)
- Particle Theory (2014)
- transient lines (2013)
- still echoes (2013)
- Reflected: 10×10 (2002-2012)
- :^D (2011)
- Hola, Sayulita! (2010)
- Goodbye Monday Blue (2009)
- Goodbye Monday #Bsides (2009)
- Stay Home v. The Love Shoppings (2007)
- Windfall (2004)
- [img] “Do you think they tossed it because the kid’s a musical disappointment?” Luna queried. “C’mon,” I shook my head. “Not everyone’s Conservatory bound.” She turned and taunted at a parlor window. “What’s the matter, can only play in C? Can’t handle 3/4 time?!” “OK, let’s go.”
- [img] “Hey, asshat,” Luna piqued, “why am I wet?” “My app said no rain for a couple hours, but this cell-” “So get a new app, asshat.” “Where did you learn that word?” “From you,” she gazed off, “the asshat.” Voice Over: “Remember, people who say asshat have dogs who say asshat.”
- [img] 10-inch LPs are the puppies of records. // The Clash – “Black Market Clash” (1980)
- [img] Summers Fripp and a Sleeping Puppy
- [dispatch] stationary chevy update 20190715.1717
- [img] love at 40.8931648, -72.3236284 degrees
- [img] If you don’t like Bruce, we can still be friends.
- [aired] Blue Skies over the Other Side of the End
- [words] of #pride and particle theory
- [aired] Kites Riding Waves
- [img] underground feeds
- Eye-Roll 20190617a
- 2019 (43)
- 2018 (153)
- 2017 (152)
- 2016 (195)
- 2015 (190)
- 2014 (365)
- 2013 (63)
- 2012 (52)
- 2011 (36)
- 2010 (25)
- 2009 (30)
- 2008 (9)
- 2007 (25)
- 2006 (2)
- 2005 (9)
- 2004 (15)